Monday, December 11, 2006

Est-ce possible!


Like a red bull & vodka before hitting the road at four in the morning, early morning doctor's appointments and days off don't mix. They're alright if you want to hold onto your vacation days from an inflexible "time accrued" policy at work but when you get up and realize that going to the gym early in the morning is a no-can-do, it starts to chip away at your "day of full activity before returning to the daily grind." My daily grind is 7am-3:30. At least I can do the "gym thing" after work and not have it eat into my night. Normally. Sometimes. It's usually the difference between the "bare essentials at the express-line work out" and "doing it like the book says." Going through motions vs. feel the burn.

Kinda like a marriage. Haw haw. I'm so funny.

Today I am going to continue reading "Shalimar the Clown" by Salman Rushdie and hopefully get back to my illustration of a woman with confused political ideologies. See above picture. It's a work-in-progress, so please leave comments if you'd like, although the political leanings/hypocrocies aren't evident yet. Look how fashionable the Marxist trend-setter is. How she smokes like an actress from a New Wave French film. Elle est tellement branché! I think I'm going to call it "Manifesto of Melany." Has a nice ring to it, don't you think?

Last night, I had a great time over coffee with a new friend. And when the java joint closed shop and kicked us out, this particular great coffee & chat moved over to a nearby diner for a slice of late night pie. My silly need to reference the pop culture of my youth had me ordering a cherry pie warmed (is lava-hot technically "warm?") in the spirit of Agent Dale Cooper. I forgot to say "damn fine cup of coffee." Since I didn't get the pie and coffee at the same time, I am forgiven for the oversight.

I can't wait for my book club to meet this week. We will be talking about "Holidays on Ice" by David Sedaris. I thought the first story was extremely funny. The third story was extremely good. The rest were darkly amusing. He good.

No comments: