Sunday, January 14, 2007

Works in theory . . .

Let me start by saying I saw the two most amazing movies this weekend. One was "Pan's Labyrinth." I don't think I've ever had such an overwhelming reaction to a movie before. Maybe I came away from some films thinking, "Damn that was enjoyable," or "I really identified with that," or even "That was the most beautiful film I've ever seen." The long and the short of it is, "Pan's Labyrinth" was all these things and more. Go out and see it as soon as you can.

The other film is a Dvd I've been trying to watch since a wee-bit before Christmas and only last night (after having an ill-timed late night coffee) was I finally able to watch it from A to Zed. "The Double Life of Veronique." Pure beauty. Although the story didn't make a load of sense, I don't think that was the point. It's a film that works best on a reactionary level. One feels "Double Life" as opposed to watching it. The dual/parallel lives of Weronika in Poland and Veronica in Paris really grabbed me. It has since mesmerized and haunted me.

Anyway, the good doctor (Mummer's parade fun day doctor) let me know that I am stuck in the "friend zone" yet again. I don't mind that because she's una mujer buena but getting stuck in that dreaded zone, let alone getting stuck in anything, is pretty frustrating. Why is it that the women I've met say they are looking for relationships, dates, and/or dating rather than simply state that they're looking for friends from the onset (and if it leads to something more, great). A friedn just said it's becasue these women are liars.

I've only dealt with about two or three people who were pretty honest with me from the get go, not several dates into it. Doesn't make one feel all that great when two or three dates later you get informed that the previous "dates" weren't really dates to begin with. I wish I had some insightful yet funny comment to close with, but I don't. So here's a joke:

I shoulda known she was trouble from the start. As I paid the check for dinner, I asked her what types of books she was into. She said "checkbooks."

waa-waa-waa-waaaaaaaaaa

No comments: