Monday, February 19, 2007

"Does it have to be a life full of dread"


New PJ Harvey on the horizon. Woot!

So last night on Family Guy, Peter went after his childhood bully who was now on crutches and attempted to beat him up. Chris tried to stop him.

Chris: "Dad, don't. He has M.S."
Peter: "What? Monkey scrotum?"

That made me laugh pretty hard. I used to have a friend who'd say, purely by accident, that I had muscular dystrophy. Pre-Richard Pryor, I guess people didn't know or care to know much about it. As with any disease, unless we have personal interaction with somebody that it afflicts it tends to be a case of "out of sight, out of mind." Kinda sad how celebrity replaces that, but I'd rather more people know about M.S. than not. How many people know about Morgellons disease? I really didn't know of its existence until someone brought it up in conversation. It's terrible yet very few people have even heard of it (unless it pops up on a report for 20/20 or 60 Minutes). I wish this line of thinking would change.

In the next few weeks I have to do the big fat scanning stuff (no exploding heads, sorry. That kind of scanning is infinitely more interesting) then another pop-by to Jefferson to be told the same thing I'm always told. In terms of having the M.S. I'm okay and, well, somewhat lucky. True, I'm not in a wheel chair or anything like that so I'll agree. No crutches or any similar crip-gear. Not even an iron lung decorated with various stickers friends might slap on. Just a damned needle I have to take every single day. A daily reminder that the phrase "at least you have your health" doesn't apply to me. Never will.

I celebrated my friend's 35th birthday by playing some good ol' Dungeons and Dragons. Well, it's not so "ol'" to me having only played it once or twice between the ages of 18 through 30. Since then, I have been trying to work on a script for a comic I'd like to draw. I need to find that something that has more meaning for me other than simple enjoyment. And I'm not going to let monkey scrotum stop me.

1 comment:

Jeannetto said...

Why arent I ever invited to 35-year-old birthday parties that included dungeons and dragons? i miss out on everything.